We all know that brushing twice daily, flossing and making regular trips to the dentist mean we keep our oral health in tip top condition, but did you know the foods we consume also play a part in keeping our teeth healthy?
Here are our top 5 foods to eat for a healthy mouth
- Well to be honest, any low sugar dairy product can fall into this category (milk, yogurt etc.) Not only does cheese have high levels of phosphate and calcium, (which naturally strengthen teeth and bones) cheese also helps balance the pH levels in your mouth, which means less harmful acid, more cleansing saliva and fewer cavities. Just remember, hard, aged cheeses are the best options. Yes please!
- Leafy greens always seem to top the list of foods to eat for optimal general health – but they are also super for your oral health. Super healthy, leafy greens are rich in calcium, folic acid and lots of important vitamins and minerals that your teeth and gums love.
- Ever wondered by Bugs Bunny has such great teeth? Carrots are packed with a variety of important minerals and vitamins that help keep teeth strong. Carrots are high in plaque-attacking keratin as well as Vitamin A, which is crucial for strengthening tooth enamel. An added bonus – munching on sticks of crunchy, raw carrot can act as a natural toothbrush, as the chewing action massages your gums, plus, crunching carrots will increase salvia production in your mouth.
- An apple a day may just keep the dentist away! Apples are highly acidic and while dentists recommend steering away from most sweet foods, there are some exceptions. Apples might be sweet, but they’re also high in fibre and water. The natural sugars contained in apples actually help neutralise harmful acids in the mouth. As well as this, chewing apples is another good mouth workout for saliva production, and they’re packed with vitamins to keep your gums healthy.
- Yes, strawberries are red, sweet and sticky, however surprisingly they can actually help whiten your teeth! Strawberries contain malic acid, which is a good natural whitener for enamel – eating strawberries will actually help keep your teeth free of stains. Just be mindful that strawberry seeds can get stuck between your teeth, so make sure you floss after eating them.