Do you get nervous about visiting the dentist? Don't worry. Being nervous about having dental treatment is normal. You're not alone!
Some people feel so anxious about visiting the dentist that they put off going. The truth is this could actually make things worse and lead to more serious problems occurring.
To help you feel better about visiting the dentist (and not put it off completely!) we have a few tips to make you feel more comfortable.
- Choose a dentist that you can communicate easily with. If you feel comfortable reaching out to your dentist about any concerns, you'll feel more comfortable getting treatment. Our dentists deal with dental anxiety on a regular basis and will understand if you feel nervous.
- Listen to music during your visit. Our dentists encourage patients to put headphones in and listen to some tunes during treatment. This will make you feel more relaxed and help tune out any noise that might make you feel a bit uncomfortable.
- Bring someone with you for support. You'll likely feel more at ease if you have a familiar face in the room.
- Talk to your dentist about the treatment you're getting. They'll be able to tell you what is involved and help eliminate the fear of the unknown.
- Essential oils are known to reduce anxiety. Oils such as lavender and ylang-ylang are often used to to prevent and relieve stress which will help you feel more relaxed during your visit.
- If you are really anxious about visiting the dentist, many of our practices offer sedation to make you feel at ease. You can find more out about the sedation we offer here.
- The easiest way to overcome dental anxiety is prevention. Regular dentist and hygiene visits will reduce your dental anxiety by prevent the need for more complex treatment. If you look after your smile you'll be less likely to need serious dental treatment.
Source: Maven Dental