Let’s be honest, sometimes plain old water just won’t cut it when you want something that’s refreshing, non-alcoholic and not terribly bad for you on a summers day.
Water of the sparkling variety seems to be a drink of choice with numerous cafes and restaurants offering it on tap, households reaching for their soda streams or stocking their fridges with the stuff.
However many news headlines are now telling us to be cautious – but how bad can a beverage without any sugar (or any other ingredient) be bad for us?
We asked Lumino The Dentists’ Dr Steven Casci why we need to be careful drinking carbonated water.
“All carbonated drinks, including sparkling water, are in some way acidic as they contain carbonic acid – basically the dissolved carbon dioxide that forms bubbles when the bottle is opened,” he says.
“As a profession, we are often concerned about sources of dietary acid as we know that prolonged exposure to acidic food and drinks can result in erosion of tooth enamel.”
Enamel erosion can lead to teeth cracking, teeth yellowing and teeth sensitivity and cavities.
Steven says, that although sparkling water is more acidic than plain water, “it is far less acidic than orange juice or a soft drink.”
He adds: “Like many things, sparkling water is fine in moderation!”